Zicam for sore throat? Continue reading …
What is Zicam Sinus Relief?
Oxymetazoline is a decongestant that causes blood vessels in the nasal passages to constrict. Nasal congestion (stuffy nose) can be caused by dilated blood vessels.
Zicam Sinus Relief (nose) is used to treat nasal congestion (stuffy nose) caused by allergies or the common cold.
Zicam Sinus Relief can also be used for things that aren’t on this list.
Zicam Sinus Relief (nose) is intended to treat nasal congestion caused by allergies or the common cold.
Stop using Zicam Sinus Relief immediately and contact your doctor if your symptoms persist or worsen, or if you experience extreme burning or stinging in your nose after using the nasal spray.
RELATED: Zicam Sore Throat Remedy
Before using this medication,
If you are allergic to Zicam Sinus Relief, you should not use it.
If you have any of the following medical conditions, see your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medication:
– Heart disease, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease
– A thyroid illness
– An enlarged prostate or urine problems.
Pregnancy category C according to the FDA. It is unknown whether Zicam Sinus Relief will cause harm to an unborn child.
If you are pregnant or intend to get pregnant while taking this medicine, inform your doctor.
It is unknown whether oxymetazoline nasal gets into breast milk or whether it can affect a nursing infant. If you are breastfeeding your child, inform your doctor.
How do I use Zicam Sinus Relief?
Follow the directions on the label or as advised by your doctor. Do not use in more or lesser quantities or for longer than indicated.
Using the drug for too long or too frequently may aggravate your symptoms or cause nasal congestion to clear and reappear.
If your symptoms do not improve after three days of treatment, contact your doctor.
Do not give this drug to anybody else, even if they have the same symptoms as you. Sharing a nasal spray bottle increases the risk of infection.
To use the nose drops:
– Gently blow your nose. Tilt your head back as much as you can, or lie down and lean against the side of a bed. Hold the dropper over your nose and insert the appropriate number of drops.
– Sit up and gently move your head left and right while sitting up. For a few minutes, remain seated with your head bent forward.
– For at least a few minutes after applying the nose drops, refrain from sneezing or blowing your nose.
To use the nasal spray:
– Gently blow your nose. Maintain your head upright and push the bottle tip into one nostril. Close the other nostril with your finger. Inhale deeply and gently spritz the drug into your nose. Then spray the other nostril with the spray.
– Wait at least a few minutes after using the nasal spray before blowing your nose.
Use the nasal spray no more than twice in 24 hours.
Wipe the spray bottle tip with a clean cloth but do not wash it with water or soap.
Store away from moisture and heat at room temperature. Do not become paralyzed. When not in use, keep the bottle tightly closed.
What if I forget to take a dose?
As soon as you recall, take the missed dose. If your next scheduled dose is approaching, skip the missing dose. Do not take extra medication to make up for a missing dosage.
What happens if I take too much?
If anybody has mistakenly swallowed the drug, get emergency medical assistance or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Keep Zicam Sinus Relief away from minors. Certain nasal drugs might create major medical complications in a small child who sucks on or consumes medicine from the nasal spray container by mistake.
What should I stay away from when using Zicam Sinus Relief?
Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding any food, beverage, or activity limitations.
Side Effects of Zicam Sinus Relief
If you have any of the following symptoms of an allergic reaction, seek emergency medical attention: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or neck.
Side effects from Zicam Sinus Relief may be severe. If you have any of the following symptoms:
– Ongoing or worsening symptoms
– Severe burning or stinging in your nose after using the nasal spray
– Chest pain, fast or uneven heart rate
– Severe headache, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, or feeling short of breath.
The following are common Zicam Sinus Relief side effects:
– Moderate burning or stinging of the nose
– Runny nose.
This is not an exhaustive list of possible adverse effects; more may arise. For medical advice on side effects, contact your doctor. You can contact the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 to report side effects.
RELATED: Sugar Free Desserts For Diabetics
This is not an exhaustive list, and other medications may interact with Zicam Sinus Relief. Inform your doctor about whatever medications you are taking.
This includes prescription, OTC, vitamin, and herbal medications. Do not begin a new drug without first consulting your doctor.
A Word From GetMe Treated
Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children, never share your medications with others, and only use this drug for the indication indicated.
Always check with your healthcare practitioner to ensure that the information on this page pertains to your specific situation.